11/5/11

Sometimes, The Detour Off the Path is the Path Itself

FREEDOM AND ATTACHMENT

Freedom and attachment spread me North and South
Into a Michaelangelo pose
The pull of the hand held, the spooned mornings
Draws seductively away
From the calm and the certainty of quiet nights alone.

The places in my heart that need
The holes in my soul that want
The corners of my life that clutch
Cry out to have you here.
While the voices of my past drone on
Holding fast to peace, hard-won
Independence that I want so much
Awareness that I hold so dear.

I love the roller-coaster ride of love
It dips and spins and tells me I’m alive
But it stops with a bump, leaves me breathless
With exhilarated memories and shaky, stunned legs.

So here I sit, laid bare
Soft silk ribbons pulling wrists to you
Ankles scarred with rope burns
Pulling downward to be grounded.
And I know I’ll buy the ticket, and I know that ropes can stretch
And that ribbons can be flimsy and can break with just a touch.

Freedom may be uncomplicated
But it bears a bitter truth:
I’m here to ride the ride
To stretch, to pull, to find the balance
Between freedom and attachment
And, with ribbons, flying, dance.

6/4/96

~~~~~

When I met my husband I was in the middle of a journey that I believed I needed to take alone.  As with so many things in life, he was an unplanned event. We don’t always know what’s best for us, however.  Sometimes the detour off the path is the path itself.

Fifteen years later, I look at a man who loves me unconditionally still. He sees me in a way that I often wish I could see myself. His confidence in me is infectious. And when my speech gets a bit forceful, as it often does when I feel strongly about something, he says, smiling, with clear affection in his eyes, “I’m not scared of you…”

And although I could have taken the journey alone, I’m so grateful he’s by my side. As I wrote fifteen years ago, “I’m here to ride the ride.” He still sits next to me, sometimes with arms overhead, laughing, sometimes afraid, sometimes just peacefully looking at the view before the next drop. He's warm in the seat next to me, and, I say this with the sure knowledge that it labels me a bonafide sap…we still hold hands.

~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment